I added some pepper and green onions to the mushrooms which made a difference in the taste. The burgers were solid. We will make this again.
Smothered Steak Burgers
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Sautéed mushrooms, steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce create robust flavors in this knife-and-fork burger.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 398
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 30.7g
- Carbohydrate: 38.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 747mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium steak sauce (such as Angostura)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) tomato slices
- 4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls, toasted
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute or until tender, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 10 minutes or until moisture evaporates, stirring occasionally. Combine broth, steak sauce, and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan with paper towels.
- 2. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add beef to bowl; toss gently to combine. Shape beef mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties; sprinkle evenly with salt.
- 3. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato slice on the bottom half of each roll. Top each serving with 1 patty, about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture, and top half of roll.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note