- 1 medium-size red cabbage, cleaned and shredded
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
How to Make It
Place cabbage in a large colander; pour boiling water over cabbage, and drain well. Set aside.
Sauté onion in butter in a Dutch oven until tender. Add cabbage; cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
Dissolve flour in vinegar, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture, 1 cup water, sugar, salt, and pepper to cabbage. Cover and cook over low heat 50 minutes or until cabbage is tender.