Smothered Pork Chops
Photo: Oxmoor House
This rich sauce gets its velvety consistency from a flour roux, chicken stock, and a touch of half-and-half.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 pork chop and about 1/3 cup sauce)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 20.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5g
- Protein: 28.8g
- Carbohydrate: 22.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 122mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 402mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup half-and-half, divided
- 1 large egg
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1. Combine 1/2 cup flour and pepper in a shallow bowl or dish. Place panko in a second shallow bowl or dish. Combine 1/2 cup half-and-half and egg in a third shallow bowl or dish; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with salt. Dredge 1 pork chop in flour mixture. Dip in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining pork chops, flour mixture, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chops to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove chops from pan; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Turn chops over; return to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- 4. Heat butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add wine to pan; cook until liquid almost evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Combine 1/2 teaspoon flour and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add to cooking liquid in pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add stock; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 1/4 cups (about 6 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup half-and-half. Cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and chives. Serve sauce with pork chops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note