I think the recipe name is a little misleading. Not that I have any problem with hash browns with a slice of cheese on top, but smothered this is not! PS.. try making hash browns then set on an oven safe plate, top with stokes brand pork green chili, shredded cheddar and stick it under the broiler till the cheese is melted and the green chili heated through. Quick smothered hash browns!!
Smothered-Covered Hash Browns
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 American cheese slices
- Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon hot vegetable oil over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together onion, hash browns, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Drop hash brown mixture into 3 1/2-inch rounds. Cook, in batches, 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned, adding remaining oil as necessary. Press down with a spatula to flatten; top each round with a cheese slice. Cook 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Smothered-Covered Hash Browns Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch