I love these burgers! My hubby doesn't care for swiss so we do mozzarella and they taste just as great. Even my kids love this recipe, so it's defintely a keeper.
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 393
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 786mg
- Calcium: 204mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound ground round
- 4 (1-ounce) slices Texas toast
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Prepare grill.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove onion from pan, and keep warm.
- Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt; saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and beef. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Place bread on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until toasted.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet. Top each bread slice with 1 patty, 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons cheese; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note