- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsalted black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- calories 347
- fat 6.1 g
- satfat 0.5 g
- monofat 2.5 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 56 g
- fiber 17 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 5 mg
- sodium 668 mg
- calcium 186 mg
How to Make It
Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes.
Add cumin; sauté 30 seconds.
Stir in 1 cup water and remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Remove 1 cup bean mixture from pan with a slotted spoon; place in a bowl. Mash beans with a fork.
Stir mashed beans into chili. Simmer 5 minutes.
3 Ways to Riff: - Add ground turkey or ground beef for a meaty version; cook it with the veggies. - Use any other type of bean: kidney beans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), or red beans. - Swap in 1 can of hominy or 1 cup frozen corn in place of 1 can of beans.