I've now made this three times, to rave reviews each time. It's as good cold as it is hot, and is easy to make ahead. Love it!
Smoky Three-Bean Bake
Three kinds of beans take the classic dish from ho-hum to fun, with different shapes and pleasing textures--from the al dente bite of chickpeas to the creaminess of Great Northern beans. If you happen to use hot smoked paprika, you can omit the ground red pepper.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 29 Minutes
- Calories: 204
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 33.2g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 6.8mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 382mg
- Calcium: 71mg
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan, and sauté for 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Set bacon aside. Add 2 cups onion, bell pepper, and minced garlic to drippings in pan, and sauté for 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- 3. Combine tomato sauce and the next 8 ingredients (through red pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in onion mixture and beans. Spoon bean mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with reserved bacon. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note