Smoky, Spicy Pizza
Photo: Kate Sears; Styling: Elizabeth Blake
More From Allyou
Preheat: 45 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Sodium: 954mg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1/4 ounces spicy Italian sausage or fresh chorizo (about 1 link), removed from casing
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 Pizza Dough or
- 1 Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough
- 5 ounces smoked mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 large jalapeño cut into 1/4-inch slices, seeded
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Place oven rack on lowest shelf. If you have a stone, place it on rack. Preheat oven to 550°F, or your oven's highest temperature, for 45 minutes.
- 2. Warm 1 tsp. oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into skillet; sauté until no longer pink, 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 3. Dust a 14-inch-wide pizza peel with cornmeal; flatten dough on top. Using lightly floured fingers or a floured rolling pin, stretch dough into a 13- to 14-inch round. (Sprinkle peel with more cornmeal if necessary to make sure crust slides around easily on peel.) Brush remaining 2 tsp. oil over surface of crust.
- 4. Arrange cheese over dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Spoon sauce in a spiral over pizza, getting a little bit on cheese, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle on sausage, jalapeño and red onion.
- 5. Carefully slide pizza onto stone. Bake until crust is just slightly charred on top and golden on bottom (lift an edge to check) and cheese has melted, about 8 minutes. Using peel, transfer pizza to a cutting board. Let rest for a minute or 2, then slice and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This