Smoky Slow-Cooked Chili
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Smoky Slow-Cooked Chili
- Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
- This hearty slow cooker pork chili with pinto beans gets its smoky flavor from the combination of chili powder, cumin, oregano. tomatillos, and Mexican-style hot tomato sauce.
- Worthy of a special occasion
- Rate and Review | Read Reviews (54)
- Yield: 8 servings
- Total: 5 Hours, 35 Minutes
- Recipe from
- More From Cooking Light
- •Get a FREE PREVIEW ISSUE!
- •Cooking with Quinoa: 15 Recipes
- •101 Healthy Soup Recipes
- •Top-Rated Butternut Squash Recipes
- •32 Best Chili Recipes
- •Search Cooking Light Recipes
- Recipe Time
- Total: 5 Hours, 35 Minutes
- Nutritional Information
- Amount per serving Calories: 357
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 27.7g
- Carbohydrate: 27.7g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 594mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- Search for Recipes by Nutrition Data
- 4 ingredients on sale for ZIP 78230Edit ZIP/Favorite Stores
- Send To Mobile
- Save Recipe
- Add to Menu
- Add to Shopping List
- .1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch pieces $
- 3 cups chopped onion $
- 1 3/4 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup lager-style beer (such as Budweiser) $
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tomatillos, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained
- 1 (7 3/4-ounce) can Mexican hot-style tomato sauce (such as El Paso)
- 1 smoked ham hock (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions $
- 2 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 lime wedges
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ground pork to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to slightly crumble. Drain well. Transfer pork to an electric slow cooker.
- 2. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add pork shoulder; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- 3. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in beer; cook 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker. Add chili powder, and next 9 ingredients (through ham hock) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaves and ham hock; discard. Stir in sugar. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups chili into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve each serving with 1 lime wedge.
- Note: You can also cook the chili in a slow cooker on LOW for 8 hours. For cooking chili on the stovetop, use a total of 12 ounces beer and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the pork shoulder is tender.
- Pork shoulder is usually sold in weights greater than a pound. Ask your butcher to trim off the amount you need, or look for pork shoulder steaks. Serve with corn bread.
- This recipe has been retested for Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, 2012
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Smoky Slow-Cooked Chili Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews