- 1 pound unpeeled medium shrimp
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen cut okra
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- calories 334
- fat 14.3 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- monofat 7.6 g
- polyfat 4.1 g
- protein 25.7 g
- carbohydrate 24.5 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- cholesterol 130 mg
- iron 3.1 mg
- sodium 539 mg
- calcium 76 mg
How to Make It
To prepare the stock, peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells. Cut each shrimp in half lengthwise; cover shrimp, and refrigerate.
Combine reserved shrimp shells, 8 cups water, and next 6 ingredients (through onion) in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Set aside 3 cups stock; keep warm. Reserve the remaining shrimp stock for another use.
To prepare the gumbo, heat a large cast-iron skillet over low heat; add 1/4 cup canola oil. Cook for 2 minutes, swirling to coat pan. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Gradually add flour to oil, stirring constantly with a whisk until smooth. Increase heat to medium; cook for 8 minutes or until the flour mixture is caramel-colored, stirring frequently. Cook 2 minutes or until mixture is chestnut-colored, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; slowly add warm shrimp stock, stirring until smooth. Pour stock mixture into a large bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 7 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Add onion and the next 5 ingredients (through bell pepper); sauté for 3 minutes. Return stock mixture to pan; add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add okra and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper). Simmer for 30 minutes.
Combine shrimp and paprika; toss to coat shrimp. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp; sauté for 2 minutes or until the shrimp are done. Stir shrimp into okra mixture. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.