I tweaked it a little bit. I used Cracked Pepper Smoked Salmon, reduced the (very expensive) salmon by half and didn't add salt or pepper. I also used fat free regular mozzarella cheese, but added 1/2 tsp. of liquid smoke to the soup. It was awesome!
Smoky Salmon-Clam Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced celery with leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 cup fish or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups diced red potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 pound hot-smoked salmon, flaked
- 2 (3.66-ounce) cans smoked clams, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and celery, and sauté until tender. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in clam juice, broth, and milk. Stir in potatoes and carrot. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in salmon, clams, cheese, and half-and-half. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note