Instead of vegetable broth, I can of tomato soup and 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies. It had just the right amount of kick! I will definitely make this soup again!!!
Smoky Red Pepper Soup
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Allison R. Banks
Yield: Makes 8 cups
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 25 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Collard Green Pistou
- 1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add bell peppers and next 2 ingredients. Saute 12 to 15 minutes or until onion is golden. Stir in garlic and next 4 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- 2. Add broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- 3. Process soup with a handheld blender until smooth. Stir in cream, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with Collard Green Pistou.
- Note: If you don't have a handheld blender, let mixture cool slightly after Step 2; process mixture, in batches, in a regular blender until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven, and proceed with recipe as directed in Step 3.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews