Smoky Hot Sauce
If you prefer a milder sauce, remove the chipotle pepper before pureeing the tomato mixture.
More From Southern Living
Chill Time: 8 Hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from can
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- 1. Sauté onion in hot olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until softened; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- 2. Remove chipotle pepper, if desired. Process tomato mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth. Cover and chill at least 8 hours. Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note