Smoky Five-Pepper Cheese Dip
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 146
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrate: 5.1g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sodium: 415mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 1 Fresno or red jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded jack cheese
- 2 canned chipotle chiles, chopped, plus 1 tbsp. sauce from can
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Tortilla chips
- 1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, bell peppers, and fresh chiles, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour and stir until peppers are coated and flour is yellow, about 1 minute.
- 2. Add milk, stirring constantly until incorporated, then add 3/4 cup water, stirring constantly until thickened and hot (the mixture will look pasty at first).
- 3. Sprinkle in half the cheeses, stirring until melted and smooth. Repeat with remaining cheeses. Add chipotle chiles and their sauce and salt and mix until blended. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Make ahead: Up to 2 days, chilled. Bake at 400°, covered, stirring once, until warm and smooth, about 20 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This