Smoky Eggplant Raita
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 97
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 9.7g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 271mg
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- 1 pound slender Italian or Japanese eggplant
- About 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1. Heat grill to high (450° to 550°) with an area left clear or turned off for indirect heat. Pierce eggplant in several places with a knife. Grill eggplant over indirect heat, covered, until very tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to touch; meanwhile, continue with recipe.
- 2. Toast about 1/2 tsp. cumin in a small, dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant and beginning to darken, 2 to 3 minutes. Pound fine with a mortar and pestle.
- 3. Warm oil in pan over medium heat. Sauté onion 3 minutes. Add garlic, then sauté until both are softened, about 2 minutes more. Let cool slightly.
- 4. Slit eggplant lengthwise and scrape flesh from skin. Chop flesh coarsely and set aside.
- 5. Combine yogurt, onion mixture, cilantro, and sugar in a bowl. Add eggplant and stir gently. Season to taste with salt, cumin, and cayenne. Garnish with a little more cilantro.
- Make ahead: Through step 4 up to 1 hour; hold at room temperature.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine