Smoky Cranberry-Apple Sauce
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 3 Minutes
- 1 (12-oz.) package fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- 1. Stir together cranberries and next 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until cranberry skins begin to split and pop and mixture begins to thicken.
- 2. Stir apples and barbecue sauce into cranberry mixture, and simmer 5 minutes or just until apples are tender. Let cool 30 minutes. Cover and chill 24 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days. Let stand 30 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
We tested with a variety of barbecue sauces and found a sweet-smoky kind, such as Sweet Baby Ray's, worked best with our menu. Find it at Walmart or click on "Product Finder" at sweetbabyrays.com.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note