I made this recipe because my husband loves chili and it sounded really good. We were both disappointed in it. It just tasted like something was missing - very bland flavor. Adding more chipotle didn't help. Also, browning the chuck steak and then adding it to the slow cooker for a half hour isn't nearly enough time for the chuck steak to be tender. It was tough. We tried it for dinner and then dumped the leftovers.
Smoky Chipotle Chili
Prep: 15 minutes, plus overnight soaking; Cook: 6 1/2 hours.
Yield: Makes 7 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 23g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 14g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 296mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 pound chuck steak, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
- 1. Wash beans thoroughly, soak overnight, and drain.
- 2. Place beans in slow cooker. Add water and next 7 ingredients.
- 3. Cook on LOW for 6 hours, till beans are tender.
- 4. Brown the meat well in a frying pan for 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Then add the steak, peppers, corn, tomatoes, and salt to the beans, and cook an additional 30 minutes. If desired, add more chipotle chili powder for more heat.
- 5. Garnish with low-fat sour cream, if desired, and the fresh chopped cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews