Smoky Chicken Thighs
This recipe goes with Sara's Grilled Chicken-Cornbread Salad
More From Southern Living
Soak: 30 Minutes
Stand: 30 Minutes
Grill: 40 Minutes
- 1 cup hickory or pecan wood chips
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Soak hickory or pecan wood chips in water at least 30 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk together basil and next 4 ingredients in a shallow dish; add chicken. Cover and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare a hot fire by piling charcoal in center of grill; let burn 15 to 20 minutes or until coals are gray. Place wood chips on charcoal. Spray cold cooking grate with cooking spray; place on grill.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade; arrange chicken on cooking grate, and grill, covered with grill lid, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 180°, turning occasionally. Remove chicken, and let cool completely before slicing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note