Smoky Black-Eyed Peas with Fried Green Tomatoes
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 55 Minutes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fresh black-eyed peas
- 2 Smoked Ham Hocks or purchased smoked ham hocks
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle amber beer
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (7-oz.) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain white cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 large firm green tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- Canola oil
- 3 large ripe red tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or Cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Hot sauce
- 1. Sauté onions in 3 Tbsp. hot oil in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in peas, next 4 ingredients, 3 1/2 cups water, and 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers. (Reserve peppers for another use.) Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 to 30 minutes or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove hocks. Remove ham from bones; discard bones. Chop ham; stir into peas. Add salt to taste; cover and keep warm over low heat.
- 2. Stir together 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk together cornmeal, ground chipotle chile, and remaining 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a second shallow dish. Whisk together eggs and buttermilk in a third shallow dish.
- 3. Dredge green tomatoes, 1 slice at a time, in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- 4. Pour oil to depth of 1 inch in a cast-iron skillet. Heat over medium-high heat to 375°. Fry green tomato slices, in batches, in hot oil 3 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. (Let oil temperature return to 375° between batches.)
- 5. Divide peas among 6 plates. Top each with 1 red tomato slice and 1 fried green tomato slice. Repeat tomato layers once. Sprinkle cheese and cilantro over tomatoes. Serve with hot sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note