Smoky Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Corn Bread Croutons
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 333
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 51.9g
- Fiber: 13.1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 4.9mg
- Sodium: 689mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 1 cup (1-inch) cubed corn bread (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped trimmed watercress
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange corn bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Set bacon aside. Add onion and garlic to drippings; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas and next 5 ingredients (through pepper); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until beans are very tender.
- Place half of bean mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining bean mixture. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons watercress, 2 1/2 tablespoons croutons, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note