- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup diced dry-cured Spanish chorizo
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- calories 184
- fat 2.9 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 1.2 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 10.6 g
- carbohydrate 30.3 g
- fiber 7.5 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 2.8 mg
- sodium 306 mg
- calcium 98 mg
How to Make It
Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans. Cover; let stand 8 hours. Drain.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chorizo; cook 4 minutes or until fat begins to render. Add onion and garlic; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add beans, water, and next 7 ingredients (through bay leaves); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until beans are just tender.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Stir brown sugar and the next 3 ingredients (through crushed red pepper) into bean mixture; bring to a simmer. Cover; bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are very tender and sauce is thick. Remove from oven; stir in vinegar, black pepper, and ground red pepper. Discard bay leaves; sprinkle with green onions and parsley.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.