I used organic sour dough bread from New Seasons instead of the ciabatta because it tends to do better in my panini press. After reading the reviews, I added one slice of an heirloom tomato and mustard (Dijon for DH, French's for me). Really good. I might like a thin slice of red onion next time. Served with microwave sweet potato chips (also Cooking Light) and a tomato/cucumber salad. Perfect easy summer dinner.
Sautéed Greens, Smoked Turkey, and Provolone Panini
What Makes It Great: The crusty grilled exterior gives way to a cheesy, savory interior loaded with earthy kale. Even finicky eaters will find this a delicious way to get their greens.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 15 Minutes
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28.3g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 779mg
- Calcium: 275mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 8 (3/4-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey breast (such as Applegate Farms)
- Cooking spray
- 1. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add red pepper and garlic, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add kale and 2 tablespoons water; cook 4 minutes or until kale wilts, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Divide half of cheese evenly among 4 bread slices. Top evenly with smoked turkey and kale mixture. Top evenly with remaining half of cheese and remaining bread slices.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat both sides of sandwiches with cooking spray. Arrange sandwiches in pan. Place cast-iron skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Cook sandwiches 2 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted (leave skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Cut each sandwich in half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine