These were quite good. I would make them again, but next time use a more robust wheat bread. The standard store bought sandwich bread became a little soggy with the egg and butter. If I were to use to the same bread again, I would probably skip dipping it in the egg. Excellent flavor, though.
Smoked Turkey Monte Cristo Sandwiches
More From Southern Living
Total: 22 Minutes
- 4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 8 honey-wheat bread slices
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked deli turkey
- 4 (1-oz.) Swiss or mozzarella cheese slices
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons blackberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Spread mustard over 1 side of each bread slice. Layer 4 bread slices, mustard sides up, with turkey and cheese slices. Top with remaining bread slices, mustard sides down.
- 2. Whisk together eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Dip both sides of each sandwich into egg mixture.
- 3. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook 2 sandwiches in skillet 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining butter and sandwiches. Serve immediately with blackberry preserves. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
For an easy side, pulse 1 (28-oz.) can Italian-seasoned tomatoes in a food processor until finely diced. Stir together tomatoes, 1 (26-oz.) can tomato soup, 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth, and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This