- 1 (64-oz.) bottle apple cider
- 3/4 cup kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 (4-inch) fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 (4-inch) fresh rosemary sprigs
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half crosswise
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 1 (5 3/4- to 6-lb.) bone-in turkey breast
- 4 hickory wood chunks
How to Make It
Bring cider and next 7 ingredients to a boil in a large stockpot or 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in ice. Cool completely (1 hour).
Place turkey in brine; cover and chill 5 to 12 hours.
Prepare smoker according to manufacturer's directions, bringing internal temperature to 225° to 250°; maintain temperature 15 to 20 minutes. Place wood chunks on coals.
Remove turkey from brine, and pat dry with paper towels. Smoke turkey, maintaining temperature inside smoker between 225° and 250°, for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 165°.
Remove turkey, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.