Smoked Trout Salad with Apples and Pecans
Rainbow trout is a tender fish with pink flesh and a mild flavor. Substitute any other white fish, or even salmon. You can use other fruit in place of the apples, if you prefer; pears or berries would work nicely.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Protein: 29.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.3g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 376mg
- Calcium: 165mg
- 2 cups wood chips
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 4 (6-ounce) rainbow trout fillets
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups thinly sliced Golden Delicious apple (about 1 large apple)
- 2 cups thinly sliced Braeburn apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes, and drain well.
- Combine lemon juice, horseradish, and fillets in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes, turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to low and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature at 200° to 225°.
- Place wood chips on hot coals. Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on unheated side of grill. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill. Remove fillets from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle fillets with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place fillets on grill rack over foil pan on unheated side. Close lid; cook 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, vinegar, oil, and chili powder, stirring with a whisk. Combine greens, apples, and onion in a large bowl; drizzle with vinaigrette. Toss gently to coat. Remove skin from fillets; discard skin. Break fillets into pieces; serve over salad. Sprinkle with nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note