- Pecan shell chips or hickory wood chips
- 3 (8-ounce) trout fillets, each halved lengthwise
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Soak shell or wood chips in water to cover at least 30 minutes.
- Place fillets in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Stir together 1 1/4 cups water and next 3 ingredients; pour over fillets. Seal and chill 2 hours, turning plastic bag occasionally. Remove fish from bag, reserving marinade. Set aside.
- Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes. Drain chips, and place on hot coals. Place water pan in smoker; add reserved marinade. Add hot tap water to fill line. Coat rack with cooking spray; place in smoker.
- Arrange fish on rack, skin side down; cover with smoker lid. Cook 1 hour or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This