This steak was excellent! My husband loves smoked meats, me not as much, but I have to give this recipe top marks. Tender, light smokey flavor. Used our smoker, with jim beam flavor chips, instead of the grill. Took one hour ten minutes to bring to medium rare. Especially appreciate that I can be busy doing other things while not worrying about overcooking steak.
Smoked Strip Steaks
Strip steaks offer a lot of surface area relative to their total size, which allows them to absorb a maximum amount of smoke. Serve thin slices of the steak over rice pilaf.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 186
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 24.1g
- Carbohydrate: 1.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 273mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- 2 cups wood chips
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 (12-ounce) New York strip or sirloin strip steaks, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cooking spray
- Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes; drain.
- Combine pepper, garlic powder, salt, and mustard, and rub evenly over both sides of steaks. Place coated steaks in a large zip-top plastic bag; add Worcestershire sauce. Seal and shake to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to low and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature at 200° to 225°.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Remove steaks from bag, and discard marinade. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steaks to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Place wood chips on hot coals. Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on unheated side of grill. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Coat the grill rack with cooking spray, and place on grill. Place steaks on grill rack over foil pan on unheated side. Close lid; cook 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into steak registers 145° (medium-rare) or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from grill; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Cut steaks across grain into thin slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes