- 2 (7-ounce) cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 (8-ounce) daikon radish, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) whole-wheat baguette, cut in half lengthwise
- 12 large fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced cold-smoked salmon
- calories 267
- fat 2.2 g
- satfat 0.3 g
- monofat 1.1 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 14 g
- carbohydrate 45.6 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 7 mg
- iron 3.5 mg
- sodium 702 mg
- calcium 62 mg
How to Make It
Place cucumbers in a food processor; pulse 15 times or until finely chopped. Place in a large bowl. Add radish to food processor; pulse 15 times or until finely chopped. Add radish to bowl. Add green onions and ginger to food processor; process until minced. Add to bowl.
Combine vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce; stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over cucumber mixture; let stand at least 15 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh sieve, pressing to squeeze out excess moisture.
Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place bread on a baking sheet, cut sides up; broil 3 minutes or until toasted. Layer spinach, salmon, and relish on bottom half of bread; cover with top half of bread. Cut into 4 equal pieces.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.