Not too impressed. The cardamom flavor didn't come through. The chives overwhelmed everything else. And it's a lot of smoked salmon to buy for a dip that isn't blowing off my socks.
Smoked Salmon-Cardamom Spread
Photo: Jan Smith
This easy, no-cook spread has been a favorite in the author's family for almost 20 years. It is terrific with any kind of cracker or crisp bread. Prepare it up to a day ahead, and refrigerate.
Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 2 tablespoons)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 39
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 0.5g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 182mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- 1 pound hot-smoked (kippered) boneless salmon fillet, divided
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Place half of salmon, sour cream, rind, juice, cardamom, and pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth. Transfer salmon mixture to a bowl.
- Coarsely chop remaining salmon, and fold into salmon mixture. Gently fold in 1/4 cup chives. Cover and chill. Garnish with additional chopped chives, if desired.
- How to Hot-Smoke a Salmon: Besides fresh fish at the seafood counter, keep an eye out for smoked salmon, either hot-smoked (kippered) or cold-smoked (lox). I use hot-smoked salmon in the winter for pizzas and other savory dishes. Lox is more delicate and doesn't hold up to cooking, but we serve it with breakfast toast and with appetizers in the afternoon.
- Although commercially smoked fish is readily available, you can also prepare your own on the grill with wood chips available in small bags from most markets. I prefer alder wood if it is available. Use this smoked salmon in the recipes here, or add it to pasta, pizza, or a main-course salad. -KD
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Smoked Salmon-Cardamom Spread Recipe at a Glance