- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 (4-ounce) package smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 (16-ounce) loaf French bread
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Garnish: fresh dill sprigs
How to Make It
Cook onion in 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently; cover, and cook 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook 3 more minutes or until soft and golden. Set aside.
Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer. Stir in mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients. Fold in caramelized onion and salmon. Cover and chill.
Cut bread loaf in half lengthwise. Brush both sides with melted butter. Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. Place one half of bread in hot skillet, cut side down, and place a smaller heavy skillet on top of bread. Apply pressure to flatten bread. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted and browned. Turn bread and repeat. Repeat with remaining bread half. Cut bread into small triangles. Serve with dip. Garnish, if desired.