Given the number of ingredients and how long it took to make this dish, I assumed it would be full of flavor...not so. The dish was surprisingly bland and looked rather unappetizing.
Smoked Paprika-Spiced Chicken over Lentils with Yogurt-Cumin Sauce
This recipe from Brian Glover, a London-based recipe developer, echoes the current trend in London for using modern Spanish and North African ingredients and spices found at Borough Market. On your next trip, stock up on Spanish smoked paprika, honey-sweet quince paste, dried ham, and other specialty items.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 513
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 60.1g
- Carbohydrate: 41.1g
- Fiber: 17.6g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Iron: 7.9mg
- Sodium: 908mg
- Calcium: 200mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded cucumber
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 (1/2-inch-thick) slice onion
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 very thin slices Serrano ham or prosciutto (about 1 ounce)
- 3/4 cup minced fresh onion
- 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 (6-ounce) bag prewashed baby spinach
- Combine 1 tablespoon oil, rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, yogurt, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, mint, cumin, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. Place yogurt mixture in a medium bowl; stir in cucumber. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place lentils, parsley sprigs, onion slice, thyme sprig, and bay leaf in a large saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above lentils. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Discard parsley sprigs, onion slice, thyme sprig, and bay leaf.
- While lentils cook, wrap 1 ham slice around each chicken breast. Place chicken in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until done.
- While chicken cooks, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add minced onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini; cook 15 minutes or until zucchini is very tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in lentils, spinach, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 5 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Serve chicken over lentil mixture; drizzle with yogurt sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes