- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce or 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 inner celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Two 3 3/4-ounce cans smoked oysters, drained
- Two 6-ounce bunches watercress, thick stems discarded
- One 1-pound baguette, halved lengthwise
How to Make It
In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil with the lemon juice, garlic and hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add the celery and oysters and toss. Add the watercress and toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
Mound the salad on the baguette, close the sandwich and press to flatten slightly, tucking in any greens. Cut the baguette into 6 sandwiches and serve right away.
Wine Recommendation: A crisp California sparkling wine will provide a refreshing contrast to the briny oysters and the tangy dressing. Consider the 1998 J Brut or the 1997 Iron Horse Brut.