OMG! This was sooo good. The only thing I changed was that I added Worstershire sauce.
Smoked Onion and Garlic Soup
Mellow smoked onions and garlic give body and depth to this delightfully fragrant twist on a classic. Fresh thyme sprigs are an aromatic garnish. Heavy-duty foil creates a disposable "tray" for the onions and garlic, exposing them to lots of smoke. For added sturdiness, keep the foil tray on a baking sheet when transporting the onion mixture to and from the grill.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 189
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 601mg
- Calcium: 175mg
- 2 cups wood chips
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups thinly vertically sliced yellow onion
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 (14-ounce) cans less-sodium beef broth
- 12 (1/2-ounce) slices French bread baguette, toasted
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded GruyÃ¨re cheese
- Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes; drain.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to low and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature at 200° to 225°.
- Place wood chips on hot coals. Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on unheated side of grill. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Place grill rack on grill. Fold a 24 x 12-inch sheet of heavy-duty foil in half crosswise to form a 12-inch square. Fold edges of foil up to form a rim. Coat foil with cooking spray. Place foil tray on a baking sheet; arrange onion and garlic on foil tray. Carefully place foil tray on grill rack over foil pan on unheated side. Close lid; cook 1 hour and 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil tray from grill; place on baking sheet.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture, thyme, tomato paste, and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sherry and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 ovenproof soup bowls. Top each serving with 2 toast slices and 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
- Wine note: While this recipe is fairly simple, it possesses three challenging flavors when it comes to matching wine: smoke, onion, and garlic. Most white (and red) wines simply won't stand up. So do as the French would, and drink bubbly. The sprightly texture and crisp freshness of a good sparkling wine will partner with the soup famously. A good value is the Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut from California, about $18. -Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note