I bought the ingredients and then read all the bad reviews about it being mushy and slimy. So I took the ricotta out of the milk ingredients and just dropped little pieces of ricotta (maybe about a cup) here and there. I think this really helped with the mushyness. As for the flavor, I feel the smoked mozzarella is too strong. Maybe 1/2 regular and 1/2 smoked. I would increase the cheese by another half cup. I used canned tomato that I drained really well. I used bacon bits for ease. I forgot the coriander. Has potential but needs work.
Smoked Mozzarella, Bacon, and Tomato Strata
This savory bread pudding needs to stand overnight. Bake it while you get ready for work in the morning. For less smoky flavor, use regular mozzarella cheese or cheddar.
Yield: 10 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 309
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 41.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 778mg
- Calcium: 254mg
- 3 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese (such as Sargento)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups diced plum tomato
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf multigrain bread, cubed, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, divided
- Combine first 7 ingredients; stir with a whisk until well blended.
- Combine tomato, corn, 1 cup green onions, and coriander.
- Arrange half of bread cubes in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with half of tomato mixture, 1/2 cup cheese, and half of bacon. Pour half of milk mixture over top. Repeat procedure with remaining bread, tomato mixture, and milk mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining half of bacon, and 1/4 cup green onions. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover strata. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note