I bought the ingredients and then read all the bad reviews about it being mushy and slimy. So I took the ricotta out of the milk ingredients and just dropped little pieces of ricotta (maybe about a cup) here and there. I think this really helped with the mushyness. As for the flavor, I feel the smoked mozzarella is too strong. Maybe 1/2 regular and 1/2 smoked. I would increase the cheese by another half cup. I used canned tomato that I drained really well. I used bacon bits for ease. I forgot the coriander. Has potential but needs work.
Smoked Mozzarella, Bacon, and Tomato Strata
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 309
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 41.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 778mg
- Calcium: 254mg
- 3 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese (such as Sargento)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups diced plum tomato
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf multigrain bread, cubed, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, divided
- Combine first 7 ingredients; stir with a whisk until well blended.
- Combine tomato, corn, 1 cup green onions, and coriander.
- Arrange half of bread cubes in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with half of tomato mixture, 1/2 cup cheese, and half of bacon. Pour half of milk mixture over top. Repeat procedure with remaining bread, tomato mixture, and milk mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining half of bacon, and 1/4 cup green onions. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover strata. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles