- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound 80% lean ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 (3/4-ounce) slices smoked gouda cheese
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) red onion slices
- 4 potato rolls, split horizontally
- 8 thin tomato slices
- 3/4 cup baby arugula
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a mini food processor; process until smooth.
Combine ground beef and red wine in a medium bowl; mix gently. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions; gently shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle patties evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat; coat with cooking spray. Place patties on grill, seasoned sides down, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill 3 minutes; flip patties and grill 4 more minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 slice cheese during last 30 seconds of cooking. Remove burgers from grill; cover loosely with foil. Grill onion slices 3 minutes on each side or until softened and lightly charred.
Spread 3 tablespoons horseradish butter evenly over cut sides of rolls; grill, cut sides down, 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Remove rolls from grill, and spread remaining horseradish butter over roll bottoms; top with tomato slices, patties, onion slices, arugula, and bun tops.