- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb.) whole chicken, halved
- 1 cup hickory chips
How to Make It
Whisk together first 12 ingredients. Pour mixture into a 1-gal. zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and turn to coat. Chill chicken 8 to 12 hours.
Pile hot coals on 1 side of grill, leaving other side empty. Let grill heat up, covered with grill lid, 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 300°. (Go to southernliving.com/bbqchicken for gas grill instructions.)
Place chicken, skin-side up, in a 13- x 9-inch disposable aluminum foil pan. Pour marinade over chicken. Sprinkle hickory chips over hot coals. Place pan with chicken on unlit side of grill.
Grill, covered with grill lid and maintaining internal temperature at 300°, 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 175°. Spoon pan drippings over chicken.