It has potential, but we don't know about taste yet, because it should have been ready 2 hours ago...
Smoke-Roasted Turkey Breast with Pomegranate-Thyme Glaze
Late November may not be prime time for grilling, but adding smoke and fire to the holiday bird is worth the momentary chill. Because this is a turkey breast (and not a whole bird), it cooks relatively quickly over an indirect fire, but it's still plenty big to feed a crowd.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 64.3g
- Carbohydrate: 14.3g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 176mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 2 cups cherry or apple wood chips
- 1 (6-pound) whole bone-in turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cooking spray
- 1. Soak wood chips in water 1 hour; drain well.
- 2. Trim excess fat from turkey. Loosen skin from breast by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Combine 2 teaspoons thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and garlic, stirring well. Rub thyme mixture under loosened skin.
- 3. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium-high heat; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and shallot; sauté for 2 minutes. Add juice and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until syrupy and reduced to about 1/2 cup. Remove from heat.
- 4. To prepare turkey for indirect grilling, remove grill rack. Preheat the grill to medium-high using both burners. After preheating, turn the left burner off (leave the right burner on). Place 1 cup wood chips on heat element on right side. Place a disposable aluminum foil pan on heat element on left (unheated) side. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Coat grill rack with cooking spray, and place on grill. Place the turkey on grill rack covering left burner. Cover and grill for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°, turning halfway during cooking time. Add the remaining 1 cup wood chips halfway during cooking time, and brush turkey with half of pomegranate mixture during last 5 minutes of cooking. Place the turkey on a platter. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard skin. Serve with remaining pomegranate mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes