Too bland for me, I even added tomatoe and bacon and it just didn't cut it.
Smashed White Bean and Avocado Club
Photo: John Kernick
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 684
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 464mg
- Carbohydrate: 103g
- Fiber: 27g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 28g
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices multigrain bread
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, preferably hothouse (seedless), thinly sliced (peeled, if desired)
- 1 4- to 5-ounce container sprouts (such as alfalfa, radish, broccoli, or a combination)
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, oil, salt, and pepper. Roughly mash the mixture with the back of a fork.
Place 8 of the bread slices on a work surface. Divide the mashed beans among the slices. Top with the onion, cucumber, sprouts, and avocado. Stack the open-faced sandwiches on top of one another, avocado-side up, to make 4 double-decker sandwiches. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread. Slice each sandwich in half, if desired, and serve.
Tip: You can make this quick sandwich even more quickly by using store-bought hummus in place of the smashed white beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes