Smashed Rutabagas and Turnips With Parmesan Cheese
Using a very sharp knife, cut a small slice off one side of rutabaga. Rest rutabaga on the sliced side for stability. Holding rutabaga firmly with a dish towel, cut into several slices using a rocking motion with rutabaga and knife. Peel slices using a potato peeler or sharp paring knife. Chop to desired size.
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound rutabagas, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1. Combine rutabagas, 1 tsp. salt, and 6 cups water in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil, and cook 25 minutes. Add turnips, and cook 20 more minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain.
- 2. Combine vegetables, cheese, and next 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mash with a potato masher (or beat at medium speed with an electric mixer) to desired consistency. Stir in bourbon, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note