These were so delicious! I didn't use milk, but instead added about 1/2 cup of heavy cream. (I know it defeats the "light" purpose, but still so good.) My 7 year old son had 3 helpings!
Smashed Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Chives
Get the same creaminess–and a lot more flavor–when you blend goat cheese instead of cream cheese into your potatoes. This tasty side dish is perfect for busy weeknights and entertaining alike.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 155
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.7g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 283mg
- Calcium: 61mg
- 3 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1. Place potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with cold water to 2 inches above. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return the potatoes to pan over low heat; add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and butter to pan. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- 2. Add cheese and pepper to potato mixture; stir until cheese melts. Stir in milk; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in chives.
- Parmesan and Black Pepper Smashed Potatoes: Prepare the recipe through step 1. Substitute 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for goat cheese. Increase to 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk; omit chives. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
- CALORIES 181 (32% from fat); FAT 6.5g (sat 4.1g, mono 1.9g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 8.9g; CARB 22.6g; FIBER 1.6g; CHOL 18mg; IRON 1.2mg; SODIUM 428mg; CALC 232mg.
- Spicy Southwest Smashed Potatoes with White Cheddar: Prepare recipe through step 1. Substitute 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese for goat cheese; omit black pepper, milk, and chives. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder. Combine 1/3 cup half-and-half, 5 crushed garlic cloves, and 3 coarsely chopped serrano chiles in a small saucepan; cook over medium-high heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve over bowl; discard solids. Stir half-and-half into potato mixture; cook over low heat 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1 (8-ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream. Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup).
- CALORIES 192 (35% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 4.8g, mono 1.4g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 5.3g; CARB 25.4g; FIBER 2.7g; CHOL 23mg; IRON 1.3mg; SODIUM 287mg; CALC 100mg.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note