Perfect way to get the picky eater to try root veggies. Buttery taste with little butter or fat.
Smashed Potatoes, Parsnips, and Turnips
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Katie Stoddard
You can make this ahead, but it may thicken as it sits. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid; just before serving, gradually stir it into the mixture until it's the desired consistency.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 437mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 5 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold or red potato (about 2 pounds)
- 3 cups chopped parsnip (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups chopped peeled turnip (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Stir in butter and remaining ingredients; mash mixture with a potato masher to desired consistency.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Smashed Potatoes, Parsnips, and Turnips Recipe at a Glance