- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- calories 90
- fat 7 g
- satfat 1 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 1 g
- carbohydrate 6 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 53 mg
- calcium 15 mg
How to Make It
In a large, heavy-bottom pan, warm 2 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring frequently, until very soft and translucent, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in peppers, garlic and bay leaf. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, about 20 minutes. Add water a tablespoon at a time if mixture seems dry or begins to stick to pan.
Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Discard bay leaf. Transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with parsley. Serve alongside grilled fish or chicken, spread on top of a pizza or bruschetta or use to fill an omelet.