- 6 cups 1/2-inch cubes white country-style bread (about 12 oz.)
- 5 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake and oyster, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- calories 330
- fat 9 g
- satfat 5 g
- protein 13 g
- carbohydrate 51 g
- fiber 6 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- sodium 440 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until dry and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool.
In a large pan over medium heat, bring 4 cups of broth to a boil. Add 1 tsp. each salt and pepper and wild rice, stir well, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and celery, stirring often, until tender, about 8 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high, add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Stir in herbs, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Mist inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Add wild rice, mushroom mixture, bread and remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth; stir well. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.