Slow-Cooker Tomato Soup
My husband is tomato crazy. Every year he plants 100 tomato plants in our garden. Even with our big family, that's a lot of tomatoes to eat. I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to use them up. In the summer I make this with fresh tomatoes, but it's also just as tasty made with either store-bought canned or home-canned tomatoes.
- 1 onion, peeled
- Two 14-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- One 14-ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Puree onion in a blender or food processor along with enough tomatoes to yield about 4 cups of tomato puree.
- 2. Pour puree into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker along with broth, brown sugar, basil, Worcestershire, and cocoa powder. Cover and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
- 3. Ten minutes before serving, stir in evaporated milk and butter; season with salt and pepper. Heat an additional 10 minutes, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note