- 1 onion, peeled
- Two 14-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- One 14-ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Make It
Puree onion in a blender or food processor along with enough tomatoes to yield about 4 cups of tomato puree.
Pour puree into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker along with broth, brown sugar, basil, Worcestershire, and cocoa powder. Cover and cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
Ten minutes before serving, stir in evaporated milk and butter; season with salt and pepper. Heat an additional 10 minutes, and serve.