This is REALLY GOOD. Leave the pork whole. When it is done remove it and cook the Bok Choy in the juice, I would say 20-30 min. Meanwhile separate the pork into chunks and remove the fat and bone. Much easier that way. I would start with only 2 tsp of the chili garlic sauce. That was the perfect amount for us and don't bother grating the ginger, a fine chop will do. Use about a 1 1/2" piece and you don't need to peel it. I served this with the rice and butternut squash. I first saw this recipe on Real Simple website so if you want to see more reviews you can look it up there.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder
Sold in the spice aisle of many supermarkets, Chinese five-spice powder is typically made from a combination of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise, and Szechuan peppercorns. Delicious in braised dishes, it also wakes up stir-fries and grilled meats. Recipe by Kate Merker, February 2010; from the Real Simple website: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/sweet-spicy-asian-pork-shoulder-00000000028082/index.html.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) chili-garlic sauce (found in the Asian aisle of the supermarket)
- 1 tablespoon(s) grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon(s) Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 1/2 pound(s) pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup(s) long-grain white rice
- 1 medium head(s) bok choy, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, five-spice powder (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cook, covered, until the pork is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total cooking time) or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- 2. Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- 3. Meanwhile, skim off and discard any fat from the pork. Gently fold the bok choy into the pork and cook, covered, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note