- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, chopped
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 2 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can tomato puree
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Hot cooked pasta
How to Make It
Stir together first 3 ingredients; sauté, in batches, in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes. Transfer to an 8-qt. slow cooker.
Sauté sausage in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer to slow cooker, reserving drippings in skillet.
Sauté pancetta in hot drippings in skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until crisp. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to high; add wine. Bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
Add tomatoes and tomato puree; bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker; add thyme and next 3 ingredients. Cover; cook on HIGH 1 hour. Reduce to LOW; cook 7 hours. Discard herbs; serve sauce over hot cooked pasta.