I made this last night, using low sodium soy sauce, agave instead of brown sugar, and one garlic clove. I omitted fresh onions - they don't seem to cook for me in acid or vinegar liquid - and used a tablespoon of dried, minced onions. I only had 4 thighs but made all the liquid. Put in small, 1 1/2 quart crock pot at 4:30 before I went to work and we ate at 9:30, with the meat falling off the bones. Brown rice and frozen veggies (no cabbage in house). Four stars because it was very salty at first.
Slow Cooker Soy-Braised Chicken
Spinach or chard can be easily substituted for the bok choy. Recipe by Cyd McDowell, February 2011; from the Real Simple website: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/chicken-adobo-with-bok-choy-00000000050978/index.html.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/3 cup(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup(s) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Black pepper
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 3â4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 cup(s) long-grain white rice
- 1 large head(s) bok choy, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onions, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaf, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with the paprika.
- 2. Cook, covered, until the chicken and onions are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- 3. Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- 4. Ten minutes before serving, if the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. Gently fold the bok choy into the chicken and cook, covered, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note