Cooked this recipe for the first time and was impressed with the flavor!! Was not sure about putting sausage in the mix, but it was actually very good. We are going to use the leftovers to use as a chili sauce for our chili dogs tomorrow; it tastes like it would be good as a chili sauce. Very easy, very tasty, my two boys and husband really liked it. We will definitely make this sloppy joe recipe again! We used fresh potato hamburger buns instead of toasted kaiser rolls and they tasted great with this recipe as well; our family would definitely recommend this recipe:):)
Slow-cooker Sloppy Joes
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (16-oz.) package ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1. Brown beef and sausage with onion and bell pepper in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring 10 minutes or until beef and sausage crumble and are no longer pink. Drain well.
- 2. Place beef mixture in a 4 1/2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce and next 9 ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours. Serve on hamburger buns.
- Cooktop Method: Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 1, returning drained beef mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients, omitting flour. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Prep: 15 min., Cook: 45 min.
- Note: To freeze leftover Sloppy Joe mixture, let cool completely. Place in zip-top plastic freezer bags; lay bags flat, and stack in freezer. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or defrost in the microwave.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches