Slow Cooker Saag with Peas
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) spinach frozen
- 1 whole(s) onion chopped
- 6 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger root minced
- 1 whole(s) red pepper diced
- 1 whole(s) green pepper diced
- 2 teaspoon(s) coriander ground
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 cup(s) yogurt nonfat or lowfat
- 2 cup(s) peas frozen
- Chop your vegetables and mince the garlic and ginger root. In the meantime, you can defrost your frozen spinach in a saucepan or microwave if particularly frozen. Add all ingredients EXCEPT the peas to your slow cooker and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours. Then add the peas and use either an immersion blender, standing blender or food processor to puree the veggies. Add back into slow cooker and cook on low up to 30 minutes until done. This recipe is traditionally served with foods such as brown rice, chicken, tofu, etc. Use whatever is in your pantry! I bet this would also make a good dip. Makes between 4-6 sizable servings.
- * For the vegetable broth, I tend to use 1 tsp of Spike All Purpose Natural Seasoning to 1 cup of water for a quick substitute. You can also use chicken broth/bouillon.
- * I happened to have curry powder on hand, but the traditional recipe calls for tumeric. You can also add some garam masala for authenticity.
- * I combined these two recipes for this:
- http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/saag-recipe - Saag Recipe
- www.everydaymaven.com/2011/saag-paneer-vegan-style-2/ - Slow Cooker Vegan Saag Paneer Recipe (this substitutes tomato sauce and coconut milk for the yogurt)
This recipe is a personal recipe added by liprincess1891 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note